Saturday, September 10, 2005

We The People, Too

Stacy Davies first project, The Barbara Boxer Rose Campaign (which Kossacks spread across the blogosphere) was an overwhelming success. As a selfless act of group gratitude for the Democratic Senator who took a stand for "We The People", it was a real Feel Good moment in a real Feelin' Bad time...

Stacy's new project is again inspired by an elected representative's action, but this time the stand being taken is quite different (see here and here). California Governor Schwarzennager now sits in the unique position of signing the country's first pro-gay marriage legislation into law, but he won't. He will instead veto the bill, and that got Stacy moving...

Snipped from the first email I received from her regarding the idea...
My friends--

Many of you were recipients of my email yesterday urging you, as gay citizens, to write your personal stories with pictures and fax them to Maria Shriver. Apparently, we may be too late. The morning papers say the governor will veto the bill as a tribute to "the will of the people." I believe the next will of the people will be that he return to private citizenry.

But take heart. I have an idea. I am going to get a book published. A "coffee table" book, if you will. So put your apathy aside for the moment and read on.

I want all of you, gay and straight alike, to write your personal stories. If you are gay, write about your life, if you are straight, write about a gay person you love. Don't worry if you aren't a "writer" that has no bearing. Send your stories and up to three pictures to me.

This will be a book of us--our lives, our humanity, our existence, that no one will be able to deny. It may take courage on your part, especially if you are gay, to have your picture in a book and let everyone know you. But it is of the utmost importance that your face be seen, that you are known. Of course, no pertinent, trackable, information will be given out in the book, not even last names.

I will edit the stories and make them shine (if they don't already!) I will also have my pro photographer friends help me with the pictures. And I will take the entire manuscript to a gay press and have the book published. I am already compiling a list of top book publishers as well as smaller presses.

If this project speaks to you, if you feel it is important, please contribute. The more people, the more diverse, the more the stereotypes they try to pin on us will fall away. You have my word that this book will be elegant and moving. With your personal stories, how could it be otherwise?
and to me she added:
I, again, feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants, but I am an editor and writer and know about publishing, so I have more skills to bring to bear on this project than my last--so maybe I can hope for the same success, if not more. I think it's very important. I got the idea, in part, from the Katrina disaster. More than ever, I realized how putting a face on a tragedy or issue makes it strike at the heart of the viewer.
So, there you have it. Below is her call for submissions. No cash contribution required, but forwarding this blog link would be deeply appreciated. And ask Stacy to put her pic on the book's back-flap so we can finally "put a face" on this activist (I hear she's a Betty Paige-type hottie)!!

Call for Submissions

Project: We the People, Too: Putting a Face on Gay Americans.

Tell your story as a Gay American--your regular, "boring" old existence, your sorrows, your loves, your accomplishments, your children. You can be humorous, angry, sad, hopeful, contented, just be real and be yourself.

These do not have to be coming out stories, but that's fine too. We want to focus on how Gay Americans are just like other Americans, and deserve the same rights. If you are a straight person, perhaps you know a gay person who has touched your live, or who, sadly, took his or her own life because of societal pressure. This book will be honest and real, but also uplifting.

Submissions should be a maximum of 1000 words, and include up to 3 photos. The more detailed your stories the better. No last names or addresses will be printed in the book.

The deadline for submissions is January 15, 2006.

Send to: wetheotherpeople@aol.com


Broken links? Suggestions? Other stuff? Contact me here...

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

« Liberal Blogs »

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.