Thursday, February 03, 2005

Freedom's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose..

As I become increasingly cynical I no longer hear language coming from Bush as I do from others. It sounds like Americanese, but my mind immediately interprets it within the context of my now-ingrained need to understand his words' covert nature. Sadly, I guess I have to finally admit that for me, Bush-speak IS Orwellian.

Bush used the word freedom in many phrases last night, causing me to wonder what was afoot. This afternoon in reflection, my mind dredged up the old song that I use to title this post...

But there is more. Bush is linking Iraqi voting to freedom, American lives lost for that cause (not terrorism oor WMD's) as freedom, Social Security privatization (risk-shifting from the government to you, not investment opportunity) as freedom, tort reform (you can't sue for corporate damages to your health or property - no SSI to help you there either) as freedom, and so on. The word "freedom" is used as a trigger of your highest values. When it is used it invokes your sense of patriotism and loyalty. It is used to hypnotize you into accepting the nature of what it is cloaking; Darwinian social and economic engineering. If they are succesful, you will have the FREEDOM to join the worker caste, dream of attaining the ruling-caste or die by exclusion from both.

I refuse that kind of freedom...


Broken links? Suggestions? Other stuff? Contact me here...

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

« Liberal Blogs »

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.